Psychological Assistance

Do you have questions about your personal or academic life? Come and talk to a counsellor at the Student Services centre. An appointment will be made for a preliminary assessment to determine the counselling approach that is best adapted to your needs.

Free and confidential individual consultations

It costs you nothing for these sessions, including an evaluation meeting and six subsequent therapeutic follow-up meetings. During your first appointment, you can ask any questions you may have, such as the approach and structure of the sessions, confidentiality and the cancellations policy. After seven free sessions, it is possible to add a few additional sessions after discussion and with the approval of the student counsellor.

Your first appointment in fewer than 10 working days

To make an appointment with a student counsellor, simply visit the Student Services centre (room E-3042), call 514-396-8942 or email

Emergency Response Service

Are you experiencing a suicidal crisis or any other serious situation that could affect your personal, social or professional well-being? Student Services (Services aux étudiants – SAE) offers an emergency consultation service that is available during SAE business hours. A counsellor (psychologist or psychosocial practitioner) will take charge of your case the same day to provide you with the support you need and guide you toward the appropriate resources, as required.

Important: psychologists do not offer psychological assessment for the purpose of issuing a certificate of incapacity to pursue studies or to attend an exam. If this is what you need, consult your family doctor or a medical doctor at an emergency clinic.

After a traumatic event like an earthquake, a terrorist attack, an act of war or a suicide … you may feel powerless, anxious, angry and sad. You may have difficulty sleeping, a poor appetite or lack concentration. These are normal and natural reactions to stress.

Finding Balance

Here are some ideas to help you to get through this difficult period and find balance once again.

  • Get back to your regular routine as quickly as possible. This will help you create a climate of safety and control.
  • Lead a healthy lifestyle as much as possible: Practice a physical exercise that you enjoy and be careful not to skip meals or eat too much.
  • Get support from people you trust.
  • Limit the time you spend watching reports or commentaries about the tragedy so as not to intensify your own reactions.
  • Take part in activities that you enjoy and make time to relax. For example, go out to the movies or for coffee. It’s healthy to clear your mind when confronted with a traumatic event and is not in itself an avoidance strategy. To help you identify enjoyable activities, we encourage you to try this exercise, titled "What I like, What Calms Me Down, What Helps Me" (in French) The exercise involves finding a pleasurable activity for each letter of the alphabet. For example, L = Listening to music, R = Reading a book, etc.
  • Pay careful attention to how much alcohol you consume. Excessive consumption of alcohol to “numb” your distress temporarily can lead to more serious problems later on (depression, sleep disorders, breakdowns of relationships with your loved ones, disruptions in your career life, etc.).

When Should I Get Help?

It is important to get help if you feel overwhelmed by events. According to the Public Health Agency of Canada, here are a few signs that you need to contact a health professional:

  • Being unable to return to your normal routine
  • Feeling completely powerless
  • Thinking about hurting yourself or others
  • Consumption of too much alcohol or drugs

To get psychological help, visit the Student Services Centre: E-3042.

As a complement to individual consultations, you can contact telephone counselling services and community resources that can give you the support you need.

Info-Santé, call 8-1-1
Phone service to consult a professional 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can speak to a healthcare professional at Info-Santé about non-urgent issues.

Find a CLSC in your neighbourhood: Find a CLSC

Ordre des psychologues du Québec (in French)  514 738-1881 ou 1 800 363-2644

Tel-Aide  514 935-1105
Phone counselling service that is available 24 hours a day for people in distress. 

Tel-Jeunes (in French)  514 288-2266 or 1 800 263-2266
Phone counselling service for young people, online or by phone.

Kids Help Phone  514 273-7007 ou 1 800 668-6868
Free, confidential phone counselling for young people, available 24 hours a day.

Suicide Action Montréal  514 723-4000 or 1 866 APPELLE (277-3553)
Professional phone counselling that is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Association québécoise de prévention du suicide (in French) 1 866 APPELLE (277-3553)

Revivre  514 738-4873 or 1 866 REVIVRE (738-4873)
Québec-based association that offers support to people with anxiety, depression or bipolar disorder.

La Clé des champs  (in French) 514 334-1587
Peer support network for people with anxiety.

Phobies-Zéro  514 276-3105 or 1 866 922-0002
Support group for youth and adults with anxiety. Support groups in Montréal and by region.

Interligne (formely Gai Écoute)  514 866-0103 or 1 888 505-1010
Centre that offers assistance, phone counselling and information for people affected by sexual diversity and gender plurality.

Stress and anxiety


Mental health




Traumatic events

Sexual health