Skip to main content
four students at ÉTS

Welcome to ÉTS

Is this your very first time at ÉTS? Here is some useful information to help you prepare for your session: orientation activities, student card, campus map, digital services for students, school supplies and books, and more!

Welcome sessions et activities

Take advantage of the back-to-school period to take part in cultural, sports and social activities that will help you discover your campus and the exciting Griffintown neighbourhood. You will also have an opportunity to familiarize yourself with our many student clubs and meet resource-persons who will try to answer all of your questions.

Consult the calendar (in French) to see varied activities available to help new students. 

Visit the website of Centre sportif ÉTS (in French) for more details.The Piranhas are the official ÉTS sports teams. To join us, go to the Piranhas website or write to Visit ÉTS Facebook page, the Ambassadeur Vie Étudiante (Student life ambassador, in French) and Vivre ensemble en résidence ÉTS (Living together in ÉTS residences, in French).

The essentials

Be sure you’ve completed all the steps required for your program of study.

Recognition of prior learning

Complete the Formulaire de reconnaissance des acquis (Prior Learning Recognition Form) if you wish to apply.

Academic Calendar

Take note of important dates for each session in the ÉTS Academic Calenders.

Assigned Contact

Do you have questions about your academic path, student record, or other? Resources are available to help you.

  1. Provide your official documents to the Registrar’s Office, either in person or via the Info-ÉTS form.
    Depending on your status, you must provide the following documents: CAQ, study permit, passport.
  2. All international students are billed for, and enrolled in, the Desjardins health insurance plan by the Registrar's Office. If you are eligible, register for the RAMQ public health insurance plan. For more information.
  3. Other internal procedures
    Obtain your student card, pay your tuition fees and update your contact information on your portail MonÉTS.
  4. Open a bank account
    This is essential if you plan to stay for more than 6 months. Simply make an appointment at the financial institution of your choice and bring the required documents.
  5. Obtain a Social Insurance Number (SIN)
    The SIN is mandatory if you wish to work in Canada.

If you have any other questions, please contact

Purchases that are required

All students (with the exception of those engaged solely in research activities): You must have a portable computer in order to participate in the full range of teaching and evaluation activities. Check out the Technical Support webpage for the configuration required.

Undergraduates: You’ll need the TI-Nspire CX CAS calculator (in French) by Texas Instruments for your very first math and science courses.

Students pursuing the Technological Academic Path: To enter certain laboratories, you must have shoes with toe protectors and protective goggles.

Although some purchases are required before classes begin, it is best to wait until after your first course to buy your books and materials. You’ll know the specific requirements of each course in terms of books, class notes and IT equipment. Please note that a number of IT labs are available to you throughout your session.

A smart way to get your books and materials

  • Get your Textbooks from the Lexya platform.
  • Become a member of Coop ÉTS to get low prices on school supplies and books. As a member, you’ll save money while encouraging a cooperative, democratic and fair-trade business. The ÉTS Coop helps student development by offering students jobs and contributing a portion of its sales in the form of scholarships, donations or sponsorships of student organizations.

Get required manuals and other resources from the library

Copies of all manuals required for courses given at ÉTS are available at the library (in French). A few copies are available for 72-hour loans at the reservation desk behind the circulation counter for your needs throughout the session.

The Library also gives you access to all kinds of specialized engineering documentation, primarily accessible in electronic format. To access these electronic resources from your home, configure off-campus access.

Members of the Student Association are covered by a group insurance plan. All members (with the exception of international students) are invoiced and registered for the health and dental care plan administered by the Alliance pour la santé étudiante au Québec (ASÉQ – Alliance for Student Health in Québec).

You can withdraw from this coverage directly through the ASEQ (in French) before the deadline, which is approximately 30 day after the beginning of the session. Your coverage cannot be changed during a later session. In other words, if you withdraw during the Fall session, you cannot enroll again for the Winter session, and the Summer session is invoiced during the winter.

For more information, visit Alliance pour la santé étudiante au Québec or contact the ÉTS Student Association, at 514 396-8883.

International students

International students are invoiced and registered only for the dental care portion of the ASEQ plan. International students who are covered by the RAMQ can choose to enroll in the health portion of the ASEQ plan in the 30 days following their RAMQ enrollment.

ÉTS provides each student with a student card, which is mandatory for accessing laboratories and other services (library, Security Service, Sports complex, ÉTS Coop, etc.). It can also be used as a debit card for certain photocopiers.

How to obtain a student card

  1. Connect to the Mon ÉTS portal
  2. Open the Uploading your photo page
  3. Follow the instructions for uploading an identity photo
  4. Follow the instructions for uploading a photo of an identity document
  5. Send the documents

Your documents will then be verified by an authorized person. If they are approved, you will receive a confirmation email, and your student card will be sent by mail (if you have a Canadian address) or will be made available for pickup at the Prevention and Safety Office, Access Management, in Room A-0135 (if you have an international address). If they are not approved, you will receive a rejection email, and you will have to begin the process again.

IMPORTANT: Your student card will not be created until your photo has been submitted and approved.

Renewing your student card

In case of loss, a $15 fee will be charged for a replacement card. If you have any questions, please contact the premises access attendants at

The Bureau du respect de la personne (BRP) provides services to the entire ÉTS community in matters of conflict, harassment, sexual violence or discrimination. Our services are confidential and free of charge.

To learn more about the services offered, visit the Bureau du respect de la personne webpage.

To request a meeting, please contact the BPR at 514 396-8800 ext. 7039 or at

The Société de transport de Montréal (STM) offers a reduced fare for full-time students at ÉTS, regardless of age. You can now apply for or renew your photo OPUS card through Mon ÉTS, under the Mes documents tab. It’s easy, online and fast! For more information concerning the photo OPUS card, please visit the STM website.

Important information for international students: There is another option available to you if you do not have a credit card with a billing address in Québec. You must go to the STM photo studio: follow the instructions provided on their website and present your certificate of school attendance available on Signets or at the Registrar's Office.

For more information concerning the reduced-fare OPUS card, please visit the STM website.

Active transport

Secure indoor bicycle racks are available in the underground parking facilities at Pavilion A, B and E. A number of other measures (in French) have been implemented at ÉTS to promote active transport.


ETS has indoor parking in its A, B and E pavilions. A permit entitles the holder to access a designated parking lot (no interchangeability).

ÉTS is a connected campus! Before you start the school year, set up your devices with Multi-factor authentication (in French).

Learn more about our digital services (in French) like the Mon ÉTS portal.

Configure your e-mail address so you can receive official communications from your professors, as well as those from different ÉTS services and departments, like the co-op work program!

Wi-Fi: Connect to ÉTS!

On the ÉTS campus, a Wi-Fi network (in French) is available in all pavilions.

Don’t have a place to live yet? Your room in one of the ÉTS residences isn’t open yet? Need to find temporary housing? Here are some useful resources for your housing search.

Off-campus housing, long-term lease

A number of sites advertise places to rent or share in Montreal. Here are some of them.

Colocation and rooms

Renting an apartment can be a significant financial burden. Many students will prefer to rent a room in a shared accommodation.

Facebook groups are a popular option for finding accommodation or roommates.

Short-term housing

Here are some places to stay for a few days while you find permanent accommodation.

Do you need help finding housing?

During the back-to-school period, Office of Student Life offers assistance for new international students who are looking for housing. An Advisor will be on hand to provide you with tips, advice and assistance. Register now to make an appointment.

Not familiar with Montréal’s boroughs?

Check out these city maps.
ÉTS is in the Sud-Ouest borough.

Lockers, which are available only to undergraduates, are shared between two people. To reserve a locker, you must know the name and permanent code of the person with whom you’d like to share a locker beforehand.

Reservations are made through MyÉTS portal beginning on the first day of each session, under the “My File” tab.

Please note that the ÉTS Sports Centre also rents lockers on the third floor of Pavilion B. For more information, visit the reception desk.