These grants fund internships within a partner business which agrees to contribute to the financing and to host the student at its premises, where he/she works on activities related to a joint research project. The intern must spend at least 50% of his research time at the partner organization.
This program offers a lot of flexibility in terms of eligibility, duration of internships and allocation of time for research at the business.
For STA805 internships (bachelor’s-master’s gateway): Write to Inga Ebert (Mitacs)
Amount and duration
- $15,000 for an internship of 4 to 6 months.
Other financial terms and conditions:
- The amount is paid to the professor as a research grant: the trainee receives at least $10,000, and an amount of $5,000 is available to defray the costs of the research.
Number of internships and distribution:
- Master’s-level (degree and DESS) programs: up to two internships;
- Doctorate: up to 6 internships;
- Possibility of combining multiple internships into one (e.g. one double internship of 12 months);
- Possibility of spreading the internship over a longer period (e.g. 2-3 first months of internship in a company + 2 months of tests in the school’s labs + 2-3 final months of internship).
- Be enrolled full-time in a DESS, master’s or PhD degree program.
Eligibility of partners:
- For-profit businesses in Canada;
- Certain NPOs in Canada.
- Before preparing an application file, the student must first speak to his thesis or project supervisor, because it is the professor who presents the case to MITACS since it is a research grant;
- The professor must send a draft version of the application to Inga Ebert (Mitacs).
For more information: Write to Inga Ebert (Mitacs).
DESSMaster's Degree with ProjectMaster's Degree with ThesisDoctorat
Canadian citizenPermanent residentInternational students
The request must be submitted at least 6 weeks prior to the scheduled start of the internship
For more information
Consult the MITACS website.
Write to Inga Ebert (Mitacs).