How to Find a Thesis Supervisor
If you study at graduate level, in a program with a research profile, you will need to write a thesis or dissertation. This project must be supervised by an ÉTS regular faculty member who will become your thesis supervisor. Here are a few tips to help you find one.
Role of the thesis supervisor:
- Helps you define your topic and establish your scientific approach (literature review, methodology).
- Ensures you know and comply with the rules of ethics specific to the field and the rules of intellectual property and confidentiality, if applicable.
- Ensures that your work progresses well.
- Advises you on your choice of courses (master’s with thesis).
- Authorizes the submission of your report, dissertation or thesis for evaluation and ensures conformity with the corrections made after the evaluation (dissertation and thesis).
When should you choose your thesis supervisor?
- If you are in a master's degree with thesis program (M.A.Sc.): it has to be either before the beginning of your first session or during your first term. Indeed, it is a prerequisite to be able to register for your second session.
- If you are in a doctoral program (PhD): at the time you apply for admission.