Co-op Work Terms Abroad

Would you like to do a co-op work term as part of your Bachelor’s program or your Master’s program (project option) in a different culture? Consult the Co-operative Education Department (SEC) to find out more about the oppotunity of doing an industrial co-op work term abroad. You may even be eligible for a grant if your placement is outside North America.

What are the Admission Criteria? 

To do a co-op work term abroad, you must: 

  • Be currently a student at ÉTS.
  • Be a level S2, S3 or S4 (Bachelor program) or SM (Master’s program with project) co-op student. The first co-op work term (S1) may not be an industrial co-op work term abroad.
  • Have an average greater than or equal to 2.0/4.3. Some companies require an average greater than or equal to 3.0/4.3.
  • If you’re a foreign student, you can do a co-op placement outside of Canada, but it must take place in a country other than your place of origin.

As internships abroad are co-op work terms, they must meet the same criteria as those completed in Québec. That is to say:   

  • The description of tasks, mandates and responsibilities must be consistent with the program and your level of co-op work term; 
  • The co-op work term must be paid (and this remuneration must be approved by the Co-operative Education Department – SEC);
  • The co-op work term must last at least 16 weeks. 

Can your co-op placement abroad follow a study term abroad?

Yes, if you meet the co-op work term’s eligibility criteria, it can be done consecutively with a study term abroad. In this case, personal search for a co-op work term will be much easier when you’re already in the target country. 

Helpful Hints on Finding a co-op work term Abroad

Although the SEC sometimes posts co-op work terms abroad, most students who have done a co-op work term abroad have found their own.

Since it takes more time to find a co-op work term abroad, we recommend that you start your search at least four to six months in advance. 

Some tips

  • Attend an information session on co-op work term abroad. See the Interface newsletter (in French) and the invitation emails to find out the dates of these meetings.
  • Establish a plan of action that specifies: 
    • The preferred country;
    • The type of co-op work term or the sector of activity sought;
    • The companies with which you will need to communicate; 
    • A schedule for each phase of the search.
  • Make an appointment by e-mailing to obtain advice on your co-op work term dossier and your search strategy. 
  • Read Registration Procedure for a Personal Co-op Work Term Search [PDF file, in French].

SEC Approval of Your Destination

The SEC must verify the level of risk of the desired region or country before approving your co-op work term. If the level of risk is judged to be too high, the co-op work term will be denied. A second verification will be made a few weeks before your departure.

Co-op work terms in Belgium, Japan and Germany

The SEC periodically receives offers of co-op work term from Belgium, Japan and Germany. Here are the conditions. 

For students in the Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering and the Master’s degree in Aerospace Engineering 
These co-op work terms, which take place at the Free University of Brussels in Belgium and at MTU Aero Engines in Munich, Germany, normally take place in a research context.

For students with an average of 3 or above 
Co-op work terms in Japan are periodically posted for software engineering, I.T. engineering and electrical engineering students with an average of 3,00 or above. These eight-month co-op work terms aim to promote connections between Canadian students and Japanese companies. You must have been preselected to be able to apply for these co-op work terms. 

What are Your Responsibilities?

If you find a co-op work term abroad, you will be responsible for all the procedures related to immigration, transportation and housing. More specifically, you will need to see to:  

  • Visa applications (and paying the costs), regardless of the location of the co-op work term; 
  • Search for and rental of lodgings;
  • Transportation;
  • Costs of travel, illness and hospitalization (including repatriation) insurance. 

In addition: 

  • You must pay your ÉTS tuition fees;
  • You will need to write a report at the end of the stay if you have obtained an international mobility grant, in addition to your co-op work term report required by the SEC.

Are you considered a foreign student? 

You will also need to make sure your immigration documents (Québec Certificate of Acceptance and study permit or work permit) are valid in Canada throughout the entire duration of your co-op work term abroad.

When Should You Submit Your Application for a co-op work term Abroad?

You must submit your application for an work term abroad to the SEC one to two semesters before your departure. You must make an appointment with by sending an e-mail to

How Do You Obtain a Grant?

If your co-op work term takes place at a company located outside of North America, you may qualify for an international mobility grant. Information about this grant will be forwarded to you when you obtain your co-op work term. 

For More Information 

Want advice on your international co-op work term dossier and your search strategy? Make an appointment by sending an e-mail to

You're coming back to Montreal

A month before completing your work term abroad, you will have to write your international co-op work term report (in French) and submit it to BRÉCI at the end of your stay.