Video compression for cloud gaming and augmented reality
Emerging immersive applications such as cloud gaming or augmented reality impose a very constrained use of computing resources. Complexity and latency are two essential aspects to take into account, both for video codecs and the entire distribution chain to guarantee a good quality of real-time service to users. The proposed research topics cover texture video coding, using depth and motion vector information extracted from the game engine. Video sequences with this related information will be provided.
In addition, based on depth and movement information, existing coding tools can be improved:
• Intra motion prediction.
• Detection and Signaling of the presence of contour in the blocks and signaling of information relating to the contour, improvement of the coding of the contours.
• Existing tools in HEVC 3D that can a) be integrated into ECM and/or VVC and b) be enhanced.
The solutions will be tested and implemented in a reference software version of VVC and ECM. The Interdigital multimedia team in Montreal is working on the next generation of video encoders (VVC/ECM) and applications (immersive video, online games, etc). This project will be carried out with their collaboration. They will offer support and supervision to students in addition to that of the project supervisor at ÉTS.
• Program in C++ or C.
• Knowledge of digital image and video coding formats (e.g. H.264/AVC, HEVC, VVC).
• Have a good academic record and/or relevant practical experience.
• Be motivated, organized and reliable.
• Be able to work both independently and as part of a team.
• Communicate effectively in French and/or English (oral and written).
• Knowledge of GStreamer is an asset.
Applicants meeting the above criteria and interested in applying should provide by email:
• An up-to-date curriculum vitae.
• Transcripts of studies from the baccalaureate (baccalaureate included).
• A short letter of about one page explaining their background (expertise) and their motivation.
• Two examples of technical documents or articles written by the candidate.
Only complete files will be considered. Only selected candidates will be contacted.
Desired program of studies
Masters with thesis, Doctorate, Postdoctoral studies
Sensors, Networks and Connectivity
A competitive scholarship will be offered
Starting: As soon as possible (to discuss)
Partner involved : Interdigital