Fall 2020 Semester at ÉTS
Remote courses offered for international students and specific procedures aimed at facilitating registration within the current contextThursday, May 28, 2020
Due to the ongoing worldwide COVID-19 crisis and the closing of borders, ÉTS wishes to encourage international students to pursue their study projects remotely, beginning with the Fall semester. Specific procedures and exceptional measures have been put into place to facilitate their registration.
According to François Gagnon, Director General of ÉTS: “Close to 1,800 students from around the world have chosen to attend ÉTS in the fall, and we are also expecting more than 2,500 international students among the total student population, who constitute an integral part of the unique and diversified social fabric of the living environment at ÉTS. We are doing everything in our power to facilitate their registration and to prepare to welcome them remotely, at least for the moment.”
Unfortunately, it is still very difficult to determine when the restrictions related to travel and arrival conditions will be lifted, or to predict the processing times for obtaining immigration documents. On the other hand, the new government guidelines that were released on Tuesday appear to be more favourable for the next steps.
The following measures have been implemented to facilitate remote registration for international students:
- International students have until June 1st to submit their application for admission for the Fall 2020 semester. Applications received after that date will still be processed, but only for admission for the Winter 2021 semester.
- Remote registration will be available for all programs for students who have the following:
- Valid immigration documents (Québec acceptance certificate (CAQ) and study permit);
- Approved immigration documents (CAQ and letter of introduction for study permit);
- There is a certain amount of flexibility for international students coming from foreign academic institutions partnered with ÉTS;
- Immigration documents must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 21, 2020 at the latest.
- Students have the option of postponing their admission registration until the Winter 2021 semester by informing the Registrar’s Office to that effect.