Work Authorization for Foreign Students

Are you a foreign student, registered full time and holder of a valid study permit? You are allowed by the Canadian government to have a part-time job on- or off-campus: maximum 20 hr/week.

Some foreign students with a study permit are allowed to have a part-time job on- or off-campus up to 20 hr/week. Your study permit serves as a work permit.

Among the conditions of eligibility, you must:

  • Hold a valid study permit
  • Study full time
  • Be registered for a program of study of six months or longer that leads to a diploma or certificate

Type of work permit required to do a co-op work term in a company:

  • Co-op/internship work permit, which is required as part of the ÉTS co-op program

How Can I Apply for a Permit?

Visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s page on Studying in Canada: Work Permits for Students and follow the directions.

Three young people talking

Students on an Exchange Program

According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, foreign students on an exchange program cannot work off campus during their studies at ÉTS.