Insurance: some types are mandatory when studying in Québec!

You come from abroad and you’re studying at ÉTS? Did you know you must subscribe to health and hospitalization insurance during  your stay in Quebec? As to other kinds of insurance, they are sometimes optional, but strongly recommended! Here is some information to help you make the right choices.

Health Insurance and Hospitalization

Are you a student from abroad studying at ÉTS? You are required to get health and hospitalization insurance from one of two health insurance plans: the Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec (Québec Health Insurance Plan - RAMQ) or Desjardins insurance.

As well, if family members are coming with you to Québec, you are responsible for insuring them as well. Here, you’ll find all the information you need.

The Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) for Foreign Students

Québec has reached agreements with nine countries for their citizens to register for the RAMQ provincial health insurance plan: Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Luxemburg, Norway, Portugal, Sweden.

If you are already covered under the RAMQ, check the expiration date on your health insurance card. It must be valid throughout the entire duration of your studies at ÉTS.

Students without a valid health insurance card must pay health insurance fees for foreign students. These fees are not reimbursable.

Your health insurance card usually has the same expiration date as your Québec Acceptance Certificate.

Moving? Notify the RAMQ!

Update your address with RAMQ so that you’ll know when to update your health insurance card.

If you are registered at ÉTS and your health insurance card expires before you present your new card at the registrar’s office, you will have to pay the fees for health insurance for foreign students the week after your card expires!

For more information about the RAMQ:

Desjardins Group Insurance Plan for Foreign Students

Foreign students covered by the Desjardins Group Insurance Plan (policy Q178) will receive an e-mail in their ÉTS inbox advising them of the date on which they can come and pick up their card from the registrar’s office.

More information about Desjardins Health and Hospitalization Insurance:

See the list of medical clinics suggested by the insurer (PDF, in French). Please note that you can choose to consult another doctor in the clinic of your choice.

What does Desjardins insurance cover?

This insurance plan covers medical and hospital fees as well as prescription medication. It also includes a guarantee of repatriation in the event of death or disability. It does not cover dental care or vision care (glasses).

Please note that this is individual coverage and that your family members are not eligible.

How much does Desjardins insurance cost?

The cost of this insurance is automatically added to your tuition fees. See the leaflet of current rates (PDF, in French).

  • Arrival for the fall semester - Billing for 12 months (3 semesters): $900
  • Arrival for the winter semester - Billing for 8 months (2 semesters): $600
  • Arrival for the summer semester - Billing for 4 months (1 semester): $300

Where and how can I pay for Desjardins insurance?

You must pay for your insurance when you submit your administrative documents. A monthly bill is available for lab interns who are exchange students or research students.

Accepted methods of payment:

  • Credit cards
  • Debit cards
  • Money order or postal order

Medical fee reimbursement claims to Desjardins

To make a reimbursement claim, you must keep your medical bills and the fees must have been incurred less than a year ago:

Complete and print the health insurance claim form (PDF, in French).
Attach the original bills for your medical care and send all documents to the insurer.

You can also submit your claims through the insurer’s online services.

Health and Hospitalization Insurance for Members of Your Family

When you applied for your Québec Acceptance Certificate, you committed to getting health and hospitalization insurance for yourself and all members of your family accompanying you, for the entire duration of your study abroad au Québec.

Visit the Ministère de l'Immigration, Diversité et Inclusion Web site to learn more about the prerequisites for obtaining a Québec Acceptance Certificate (PDF, in French).

Insurance for your family members with the RAMQ

If you are eligible for the RAMQ and a member of your family is accompanying you for the duration of your study abroad in Québec, check his or her eligibility for provincial coverage:

If the member of your family accompanying you is not eligible for the RAMQ, you must join another insurance plan. Plan for an additional $1,000 per year in your budget.

As soon as you arrive Québec, you must contact insurance companies in Québec to have your family members insured. This is your responsibility.

Dental Insurance

All ÉTS students are automatically registered for dental insurance offered by the Alliance pour la santé étudiante au Québec (ASÉQ - the Alliance for Student Health in Québec). However, this insurance is optional.

How to Get Reimbursed for Dental Fees

Thanks to ASÉQ’s dental coverage, you can be reimbursed for 70 to 100% of your dental fees.  

To find out the extent of your coverage or to have your dental care reimbursed, visit the ASÉQ section of the Students Association website.

Would you like to cancel your dental insurance?

Think carefully before making your decision, as in Québec, a simple dental cleaning can cost up to $150.

If you wish to cancel your dental insurance, you must do so before the deadline.
Check the cancellation deadline by visiting the ASÉQ website (in French) or by contacting the ÉTS student association by phone at 514 396-8883.

Additional Insurance

Foreign students who are covered by Québec’s provincial insurance plan, the Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ), can sign up for ASÉQ’s complementary health, vision and travel insurance.   

If you’d like this coverage, contact the ASÉQ within 30 days of registering with the RAMQ.

Travel Insurance

Are you planning a trip outside Québec during your studies at ÉTS? Sign up for travel insurance to avoid unpleasant surprises!

Cover Your Medical Costs When Travelling Outside Québec

Whether you’re on vacation or away for the day, registering for travel insurance will keep you from running up a (very) hefty bill if you get sick or have to be hospitalized in an emergency during your stay outside Québec.

  • If you’re covered by Québec’s provincial health plan, the Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ)
    We advise you to register for additional insurance coverage for unexpected situations when you are travelling outside Québec. Visit the RAMQ website to find out more about terms and conditions of reimbursement of medical fees incurred outside Québec.
  • If you’re insured by Desjardins
    Check your policy’s conditions when travelling outside Canada and contact your insurer for specific information.
Assurance rapatriement

Are you a student from abroad studying at ÉTS? Find out if you need to get supplementary repatriation insurance.

Repatriation Insurance for Foreign Students

If you’re covered by Québec’s provincial health plan, the Régie de l'assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ), we advise you to obtain additional coverage for repatriation fees if you should require complex or continuous care, or in the event that you should die in Canada.

If you are insured under Desjardins’ health and hospitalization insurance, you do not need additional coverage, as this policy already includes a repatriation guarantee in the event of complex/continuous care or death in Canada.

Household and Civil Liability Insurance

Household and civil liability insurance is not required, but it is recommended, as it protects your property and covers you if you should cause damage to someone else’s property.

Get a Discount on Your Household and Civil Liability Insurance

Become a member of the Québec Engineers Network, and you can get a discount on your household and civil liability insurance. Compare the packages offered by different insurers and choose the one that best corresponds to your needs.

Accident Insurance

Whether you’re studying full time or part time, you are protected in the event of an accident on campus and when travelling between school and home.

What Should I Do If I Have an Accident on the ÉTS Campus?

Contact the security and prevention department as soon as possible.  

  • By phone:
    • From the ÉTS campus: extension 8900
    • From off campus or from dormitories: 514-396-8900
    • In case of emergency (from internal extensions only): dial 55
  • In person: Visit Pavilion A (immediately to the left of the main entrance), 1100 Notre-Dame Street West, local A-0110.

After responding, security officers will draft an accident report which will serve as proof for the insurer.

Depending on the urgency and seriousness of the situation, you can also call 911.

Insurance Claims After an Accident

To file a claim with your insurer, you must submit the completed claims form and required proof of accident within 90 days after the accident.

To reach an Industrial Alliance representative, call 1-888-266-2224 (Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.).