If you are currently in Canada - Immigration
International Students must maintain a legal status at all times during their stay in Canada. The Quebec and Canadian immigration departments continue to operate, although some services will be interrupted and longer processing times are to be expected. Special measures to help temporary residents affected by the Coronavirus have also been put in place. Visit the IRCC website for full details.
CAQ renewal and study permit
- You may not be able to obtain all the required documents for your various procedures (e.g. original documents). However, still send your requests with a dated and signed letter explaining the exceptional circumstances of the situation.
- Follow the renewal procedure.
- While ÉTS is closed, Office of Registrar still delivers official documents you might need to renew your immigration papers. Request them online, as usual, and you will receive them by email (no hard copies can be sent out during this period).
- You must send a digital copy of your CAQ and your study permit (or IMM5739 as proof of renewal) to email@example.com.
- If your study permit expires and you have not received your CAQ yet, still make your renewal request, and attach a dated and signed explanation letter instead of the CAQ. This will allow you to keep an implied status. Upon receipt of your CAQ, forward it to IRCC by their Webform.
Extending the duration of the Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) for studies
The Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (MIFI) is extending, until December 31, 2020, the minister’s consent for the duration of the stay in Québec of foreign students whose Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) for studies expires as of April 30, 2020 and before December 31, 2020.
This decision is intended to facilitate the steps that must be taken by foreign students who were in the process of completing their study program but who must extend their stay in Québec due to the current health state of emergency and the temporary interruption of their courses. In short, this concerns only students who will graduate before December 31, 2020. If you need to renew your study permit before this date, you can apply with your actual CAQ and join an explanation letter. The study permit will be issued for the same period, until December 31, 2020.
If you have to extend your stay over 2020 in order to complete your study program or if you begin a new program in fall, you must submit a new application for CAQ and study permit.
International students providing essential services
You are temporarily allowed to work more than 20 hours if you are:
- a study permit holder in an academic session
- eligible to work off-campus, and
- providing an essential service
To see if your work is considered an essential service or function, check the Guide on Essential Services and Functions in Canada During the COVID-19 Pandemic.
Summer semester 2020
The summer semester is mandatory for research programs (master with research profile and doctorate). The rule of maximum 20 hour of work per week continues to apply.
For course-type programs (BAC, DESS, master with project profile), continuous registration is not mandatory, although it is highly recommended. You will be able to work full time during the summer semester if you were registered full time in the previous semester (winter) and in the following semester (fall).
Get or renew your Social Insurance Number
Service Canada Centers still accept SIN applications but will no longer be accepting them in person. You now have the option to apply online or by mail.
Please we aware that processing times can take several weeks. For further details, consult the following link.
Post-graduation work permit (PGWP)
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada confirms that courses offered online on an exceptional basis due to COVID-19 will not affect eligibility for the Post Graduate Work Permit Program to obtain a Post Graduate Work Permit.
”Flag pole” (exiting Canada at a land border to activate immigration document)
In the current context and until further notice, it is forbidden to go to the land border to obtain immigration services or documents. All your requests must be submitted online, according to the procedures that apply.