New evaluation procedures
ÉTS announces measures for grading courses for the Winter 2020 semesterTuesday, March 31, 2020
Updated June 2, 2020
ÉTS has undertaken exceptional measures to allow the current session to continue, but we are cognizant of the fact that not all students have access to an environment that is conducive to learning and end-of-course evaluations. In order to ensure that no student is unjustly penalized, ÉTS has given due consideration to requests made by the ÉTS Student Association (AÉÉTS), and is announcing the following measures for grading courses for the Winter 2020 term, which will be applied on a course-by-course basis:
- If the grade obtained by a student for a course is higher than the student’s cumulative average, the grade will be maintained.
- If the grade obtained by a student is higher than E but below the student’s cumulative average, the grade obtained will be changed to S (Success/Pass), with no impact on the cumulative average).
- If the grade obtained by a student is E, it will be changed to V/XX (cancellation without refund due to the virus), except for a failure confirmed following a decision rendered by a discipline committee.
Students who do not have a cumulative average on their student record, please note the following measures will be applied for each course:
- Undergraduate students: grade below C will be changed to S; grade C and higher will be maintained;
- Graduate students: grades below B will be changed to S; grade B and higher will be maintained;
- All students: a grade E will be changed to V/XX (cancellation without refund due to virus), except for a failure confirmed following a decision rendered by a discipline committee.
Students may request that an initial grade be restored. To do so, they will need to complete an online form titled "Demande de rétablissement de cote - Session d'hiver 2020" (Request for grade reinstatement - Winter semester 2020) via the My ÉTS portal. The deadline to submit a form is August 15, 2020.
A student must complete the semester and be subjected to an end-of-course evaluation in order to take advantage of these measures. Grades will be changed automatically on June 1st, once all grades have been assigned by the instructors. It is important to note that these measures do not apply to activities that were completed before March 16.
We hope that these measures will be satisfactory for the greatest number of students, and will reduce the amount of stress associated with end-of-course evaluations and the exceptional circumstances that we are all currently experiencing.