Skip to main content

Access to Information and Accountability

Transparency is an important contributor to the public’s confidence in its institutions. This is why public organizations such as universities are subject to the Act respecting Access to Documents Held by Public Bodies and the Protection of Personal Information. This is also the reason that ÉTS makes certain information available periodically.

In virtue of the Act respecting Access to Documents Held by Public Bodies and the Protection of Personal Information, anyone may make an Access to Information request to ÉTS, as long as the information requested can be found in an existing document and is not among the exceptions provided for in the Act.  

Can I have access to all ÉTS documents?

No. The Act provides several exceptions to the principle of access. For example, personal information relating to a third person will not be provided to you. Similarly, information that could have a negative impact on intergovernmental relations, negotiations between public agencies, the administration of justice or public safety will not be provided. If the information you request cannot be provided, we will inform you and we will state the reasons for our decision. If you do not agree with our decision, you may appeal to Quebec’s Commission d’accès à l’information (the access to information commission).  

How long does it take to process a request for access?

In accordance with the Act, ÉTS has 20 working days to send you its response. In some cases, such as if the information is difficult to locate, we may take an additional 10 working days. The time may also be extended if your request concerns industrial, financial, commercial, scientific, technical or trade-union information provided by a third party. If the processing time for your application must be extended, we will let you know.  

Does an access to information request cost money?

Access to documents is free, but if you wish to obtain copies of documents, we may charge you fees for reproduction, transcription and/or delivery. If this is the case, we will provide you an estimate of the costs in advance.  

How do I make an access request?

The simplest way is to send your request in writing to the person in charge of access to information. At ÉTS, the Secretary-General is responsible for access to information:

Subject: Request for Access to Information
École de technologie supérieure (ÉTS)
1100, rue Notre-Dame Ouest, bureau A-3828
Montréal (Québec) H3C 1K3
514 396-8800 ext. 7107

ÉTS Annual Reports
In collaboration with the other institutions making up the University of Quebec network, ÉTS publishes a joint annual report.
Consult the Annual Reports (in French)

Summary and Highlights of Research Activities
ÉTS also publishes an annual report on its research and innovation activities.
Consult the Summary and Highlights of Research Activities report. (in French)

Development Fund (FDETS) Annual Reports
The ÉTS Development Fund (FDETS) publishes an annual report.
Consult the FDETS Annual Report (in French)

HPRO Annual Reports
The Harassment Prevention and Resolution Office (HPRO) publishes an annual report.
Consult the HPRO Annual Report (in French)

Reports on Performance and Prospects for Development
ÉTS submits an annual report on its performance and prospects for development to the Quebec National Assembly.
Consult the report (PDF, in French)