Work While You're Studying

Would you like to work during your studies at ÉTS but don’t know if your foreign student permit allows it? Are you wondering about the workload, Quebec labour standards or income tax obligations? Read this!

Balancing Your Studies at ÉTS with a Student Job

Some foreign students are allowed to work during their studies in Canada. This gives them a chance to acquire work experience in Quebec as well as additional income. But can you handle the workload?

Combining study and work can be a sizeable challenge due to the fact that foreign student status requires full-time study. This means that your studies at ÉTS must be your primary activity during your stay in Canada, while a student job can only be part time.

ÉTS offers workshops on part-time work for foreign students. Read Interface to keep up with the latest news.

What Are the Working Conditions for Foreign Students?

Some foreign students with a study permit are allowed to have a part-time job on- or off-campus: maximum 20 hr/week.

To find out if you’re eligible, visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada page: Studying and Working in Canada.

Please note:
Exchange students are not authorized to work off-campus during their study abroad.

Getting a Social Insurance Number (SIN) for a Student Job or Co-op Work Term

A social insurance number, which is a confidential number used by the government and employers to identify you (when being hired, or for income tax declarations, for example), is required to work in Canada.

Visit the Service Canada website for more information.

Service Canada Office
Guy Favreau Complex
200 René-Lévesque Boulevard West
Montréal, QC

Foreign students who plan to do a co-op work term as part of their program of study must first provide proof that they requested a SIN to the Service de l’enseignement coopératif (ÉTS Cooperative Learning Department) before entering the co-op system.

Labour Standards and Taxes for Foreign Students

All workers in Canada are protected by Canadian laws. These include labour standards about holidays and absences, labour conditions, the minimum wage and prohibited practices such as harassment at work.

To learn more, visit the Commission des normes, de l’équité, de la santé et de la sécurité du travail (the Quebec Standards, Equity and Occupational Health and Safety Board) Web site.

Taxes: Declare Your Income!

Quebec taxpayers declare their income for the previous year on or before April 30. Income is declared to both Revenu Québec and the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

Important note:

  • In Quebec, the requirement to declare your income is based on the status of residence, not on the status of student or citizenship.
  • This means that even if you are not working in Canada, it may be profitable for you to declare your income here, as you may be entitled to certain tax credits!

ÉTS offers students an income tax declaration service at a reasonable fee. Check the Interface (in French) in the springtime to find out more!